One of Leonardo’s most iconic images, the Aerial Screw (also known as the Helicopter) illustrates the ingenuity of da Vinci, and indicates his obsession with flying. While this idea may never have got off the ground, it gave us an insight into the different ways in which Leonardo considered the challenge of human powered flying, and defines him as an inventor and visionary well ahead of his time.While it is often referred to as a helicopter, the premise of the lift to make it rise is more like Archimedes Screw than the rotors of a helicopter. This model uses one of the bevel gears he drew in his codices and creates a nice 2 to 1 increase in speed of the crankshaft, so the mast spins quickly, illustrating the manner in which this machine would have worked. The kit features pieces that are drilled and pegged for strength, the canopy and support structure are removable for experimenting, and lots of interesting information about how it works. Kit stands about 15″ tall and 9″ across.
- We believe in nurturing a child’s natural curiosity and that learning can be fun. Designed by a science educator, our Aerial Screw model kit allows you to explore science and history by building one of Leonardo da Vinci’s most iconic images.
- A great build from beginner to advanced (ages 9+), this kit will keep you and your loved ones entertained for 1-3 hours and can be displayed once completed.
- Quality is important to us, so our models are made from laser-cut wood and not plastic. They have a great finished look, are sturdy and the pieces fit together perfectly
- We stand behind our product and our reviews speak for themselves. If you have a part that has been mangled (by us, you or your pet), give us a call and a replacement piece will be shipped to you ASAP
- All of our kits are tested and pass all ASTM standards for safety. We are an environmentally friendly company and use natural, untreated wood, from sustainable forests (forest stewardship wood). We donate 1% of sales to protect and enhance the natural environment.